I can offer training on: (click on each title for more detail)
- Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 (AwI) demystified
- AwI general principles and Code of Practice - what are these?
- Proposed changes to the AwI
- Graded guardianship
- Power of Attorney (PoA) - things to consider if you are considering a PoA
- Power of Attorney - things to consider before you become an attorney
- Making power of attorney powerful - a guide for attorneys
- What is Guardianship?- a guide for guardians
- Capacity assessing for private individuals
- Supported decision making for attorneys or guardians
- Supported decision making for professionals
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disability –what do we need to do to comply with the requirements?
- ‘Pick ‘n’ Mix’ – bespoke course with any combination of above
- Facilitation / Chair of your event
Who, Where, When?
The shorter sessions are likely to be run solely by myself, drawing on my experience as Public Guardian. I participate in the longer courses but have a range of highly respected speakers on whom I can call, to ensure you have both expert and current insight. Please let me know if there is a particular speaker you wish to hear from.
Training is tailored to support your needs so can be offered in larger groups, lecture style, smaller seminars or interactive workshops, or on occasions even one to one. Please speak to me about your needs; we can have an honest conversation about what I can offer.
Courses can be designed to suit, or be adapted for:
- Carers and supporters of persons with mental incapacity
- Those thinking of granting power of attorney
- Those deciding if they should be an attorney, or guardian
- Those acting as attorney or guardian
- Charity sector employees
- Professional care givers
- Local Authority employees
- Financial sector employees
- Social care professionals
- Clinical professionals
- Legal professionals
Some of the courses work with a mixed audience, others are better specifically targeted, please contact me with your requirements and I can offer advice.
As courses are bespoke, tailored to support your needs, there are no pre-set dates. Please get in touch to register your interest in a given course and I will let you know when the next course is running in your area.
If you wish a course for a specific group, dates and times to suit your requirements can usually be accommodated.
If you wish me to come to talk to a group you run, about any of the topics above, please contact me to talk about the possibility of a fixed fee for the session.
Training can be delivered throughout Scotland, assuming numbers make this viable. Teleconferencing can be arranged.
At the commencement of each course participants will be asked to complete a short pre-course self assessment of their skills and knowledge and on completion a similar post course assessment of their learning, in addition to a typical course evaluation. The value of the courses will be formally assessed using these ‘tools’ to ensure they offer a standard of excellence.
Accreditation for continuous professional development purposes can be offered on all courses.